Welcome!

My name is Mary Ann Whitehead Overson and this blog is dedicated to all the amazing men and women who came before me: my ancestors. I also want to acknowledge my father, Armand Toyn Whitehead, who is the person responsible for a lot of the content in this blog; my dad has spent countless hours collecting and preserving photos and histories, and preserving them on the computer so that they can be handed down for generations. Thank you, Dad!

Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Happy Pioneer Day, 2012!
Many of the people looking at my blog are from other states - even other countries!  So, I'll just take a moment to explain that Pioneer Day is a Utah state holiday in which we all celebrate the founding of our state - but mostly, it is to pay homage to all those faithful pioneer ancestors who came across the plains on foot, in wagons, pulling handcarts, in order to come to a place where they could find refuge from anti-Mormon sentiment, and to build up a modern day "Zion."

Today, I am posting the story of the Bale family: my 3rd great grandparents and their children and grandchildren.  Thomas and Mary Ann Wardle Bale were true pioneers, accepting the gospel early on in their hometown in England, enduring the persecution of their neighbors and family who felt that they had been deceived by the missionaries.  They wished to join the Saints in Utah early on in their conversion, but had to wait many years before they had enough money to make the journey. 

I feel that I myself have been on a journey as I uncover their history.  I have discovered that I carry in my veins the blood of rare courage.  I have come to realize that I have taken much for granted, and that my trials can be overcome, because Thomas and Mary Ann overcame even greater challenges.  I can only hope that one day, my children and their children will think of me as just as courageous, even if it is just a fraction of how I've come to feel about my ancestors!

To the best of my ability, I have made sure to verify all the facts, and make sure that this is an accurate account of the Bale family's immigration.  If there be any discrepancies or errors, or if any of you have any other things to add to this history, please let me know so that I can include it here.  I welcome comments and suggestions!


No comments:

Post a Comment